nafex - [NAFEX] soil testing

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] soil testing
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 07:09:52 -0500

Stephen and all, my business has me working different soils in hundreds of locations and believe me, this is an intimate relationship.  My wife routinely threatens me with divorce for all the dirt I drag into the house- blond hairs she ignores.  Nevertheless, the only debilitating issues I ever encounter are drainage and insufficient depth of soil so I'm far from expert on having soil tested for contaminants.  I just use the basic acid extractions to get fertilizer recs. which I reinterpret to my own perspective and methods.

I'm curious why you'd go to private companies for this kind of analysis instead of using the facilities at UC Davis, which I'd guess would generally be significantly less expensive because they are subsidized by taxpayer money.