nafex - [NAFEX] Soil testing

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Soil testing
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 08:30:08 -0600

Alan Haigh, writing to Stephen Sadler said, "I'm curious why you'd go to private companies for this kind of analysis
instead of using the facilities at UC Davis, which I'd guess would generally
be significantly less expensive because they are subsidized by taxpayer money."

Alan,
I have had gardens and orchards in several States, including California, and I always wondered why university soil testers refused to test for micronutrients when I sent in my soil samples. I was always brushed off as if I really didn't know what I as asking for. My "Why not," answers always went unanswered. Then, several years ago, I really leaned on one of the graduate students who performed soil tests demanding why I couldn't get micronutrients tested with a recommendation. The exact wording of his reply was, "..............because the average person is to stupid to know anything about micronutrients."
"Stupid," huh? I teach horticulture classes and I'm too "stupid".....................?
I've been on a crusade ever since to get gardeners and orchardists to start using private soil testing laboratories.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For Christmas gift baskets: