nafex - Re: [NAFEX] wasps and yellow jackets

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] wasps and yellow jackets
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 17:08:50 -0400 (EDT)

My procedure for eliminating in-ground yellow-jacket nests is to get a
wide-mouth gallon jar - after dark spray some hornet spray into the jar, take
it out to the nest opening and invert the jar over the opening - next morning
yellow-jackets will fly around inside the jar until they are all dead.
Once you remove the jar the nest will revive in a day or two due to hatching
larva in the nest, so I put a teaspoon of detergent in a gallon of tapwater
and pour it down the hole - that has worked well for me.
Many years a friendly skunk will come by and dig them up before I have to
take action, but being skunk free so far this year, I have eliminated 6 nests
in my orchard and front yard.

Jim Nottke
Pfafftown, NC