nafex - Re: [NAFEX] wasps and yellow jackets

  • From: Doug Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] wasps and yellow jackets
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 17:28:23 -0400

If you just want to persuade them to go away, remember that if they have been there for any length of time they will have eggs and larvae in the nest. I don't think those can be moved, so for them what you want means death. The adults will likely be hard to persuade. If you really want to leave the adults alive, I would spray an above-ground nest moderately with water at dusk, dispersed spray, daily for a while. Keep your distance. If in the ground, a moderate amount of water, at dusk or night, repeated.

However, due to the young, if it was me I would go for decisive, all-out war, and try to kill them. There will be lots of others of their kind left elsewhere.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Jenny Ruth Yasi wrote:
Anyone know any low or no-toxic methods to vacate a large yellow jack type wasp nest? Thanks!

Yasi