nafex - Re: [NAFEX] wasps and yellow jackets

  • From: Doug Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] wasps and yellow jackets
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 17:08:59 -0400

Is it in the ground or is it a "paper" structure hanging from a support?

Whatever you do is best done at dusk or at night when all the insects have come home and are in the nest.

If in the ground, you can flood it with a hose. I've known people to pour gasoline in; the fumes are toxic to insects.

If it's a hanging structure, you may be able to cut the support (top of the nest) and drop it into a bucket or tub of water with a little vegetable oil on top.

Personally I don't worry too much about the usual aerosol-can sprays sold for the purpose and I use them for a first attack with a water-based backup.

Wasps etc. seem to regard water as something natural and I don't get the impression that they go into attack mode when they are dealing with it, although I wouldn't want to expose myself unduly..

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Jenny Ruth Yasi wrote:
Anyone know any low or no-toxic methods to vacate a large yellow jack type wasp nest? Thanks!

Yasi