nafex - Re: [NAFEX] You Think You Got Pest Problems? OFF-TOPIC

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] You Think You Got Pest Problems? OFF-TOPIC
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:00:42 -0500

Ioneroc wrote:

"But this guy is a cruel, greedy @$%?!--like the farmers around here who stuff 10,000 hogs into a small barn like wall-to-wall pork carpeting."

Hi Steve,

As a former pig farmer, I guess I was one of those greedy so and so's who had wall to wall pork carpeting.  But there is another side and it's not necessarily about getting rich.  Like almost all farming it's about keeping costs low enough to remain competitive.  There are less and less operations with hogs on dirt.  The reason is simply it is harder and harder to remain competitive without confinement operations.  Sweden passed laws essentially banning confinement operations, and it comes as no surprise they no longer have a hog industry to speak of.  Being in the swine industry for many years, I don't think the meat is at all unhealthy either.  Because of parasite risks, I would much rather eat pork grain fed on concrete than pigs on dirt.  It's true pigs may be happier on dirt under ideal conditions, but they are probably unhappier on 0 degree days, vs. pigs in climate controlled buildings.

I'm rambling a bit here, but the real benefit is the unbelievably cheap food prices.  The reason dirt farmers can stay in business selling their grain for the same price their fathers got, is because they farm twice the amount of acreage.  Same thing with livestock farmers.  More or less, the only way to get a wage increase is to increase production and with few exceptions, dirt operations are not nearly as productive as confinement.  As a farmer, you'll wait long and hard for a price increase, instead you have to produce more.

Mark
Kansas