nafex - Re: [NAFEX] You Think You Got Pest Problems?

  • From: hans brinkmann <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] You Think You Got Pest Problems?
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 02:13:53 +0200

Hallo Rivka and hallo Loneroc,

it's been a great pleasure to read your very nice contributions concerning that sad New Zealand Bird Blasting subject!!!
Hopefully all people did understand the article in all respect... the blasting, the half-killing, the torturing for days for many days...

I think, especially for people in foreign countries the combination of this Bird-Blasting-Crime and the word "APPLAUD"
("... applaud the killing of so many starlings in another country...) is only shocking!
Or e.g. "... women and dogs that do better when beaten?" from the same contributor.
Do we live still in the middle-age? Where people e.g. applauded when a person is executed?
I am sure NAFEX is read in many other countries...to be anonymous means not the right to type any words!

I think you are very right, it is always a very good possibility to change things, if more customers are buying with more responsibility.
Just to make the apple story from New Zealand more clear: The production is more or less the same like in many other countries, but because of the very long ship-transport (18 000 km to EU) they are adding too many fungicides and insecticides to the surface. A guy who was working at a New Zealand plantation told, the owner is never eating his own apples, if they are prepared for shipping abroad.
Till a New Zealand apple is at Germany it consumed the same energy like a German apple is kept inside a fridge-house for 18 month.
The fact, that most customers (I guess 95%) do not even like a small spot on apple surfaces, is an other story...
I think, if people would see the inside of some hog, turkey, chicken... farms AT GERMANY, they wold never ever eat meat from those companies or at all.
Unfortunately many people are not informed and are not even interested to be informed.
The same with the big logging companies who are creating the world largest "strip-mine vast mountainsides" at Canada, at a well educated, developed an civilized "Western" country. As an example for the less educated/developed countries?
Anyhow, we Europeans are consuming also your Canadian trees just as simple paper. A hundred (or more) years old Canadian tree just to be a simple unwanted printed advertising paper or tissue paper finally...
We have the right AND the moral obligation to be informed. To find the truth of all that many possible informations , is an other story/difficulty...
But we have the access to collect informations, many people at less developed countries do not have even this chance...

ciao
Hans Germany

loneroc schrieb:

I can deal with someone pulling the wings off of flies, having poisoned plenty myself. I can deal with folks who quickly kill animals and eat them--I am not a vegetarian. But this guy is a cruel, greedy bastard--like the farmers around here who stuff 10,000 hogs into a small barn like wall-to-wall pork carpeting. Like logging companies who strip-mine vast mountainsides of trees: it's cheaper that way, you know, it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to timber selectively or sustainably. Oooo, it costs me so much money to treat waste water before dumping it! Why do I have to pay minimum wage? Maybe slaves are cheaper in the long run. Since this guy has to export to Europe or the US to survive, I'd say protests and boycotts of any fruit distributor who EVER buys another apple from this guy again would be the free market solution. Starlings would be the least of his economic nightmares. Spread the word:-)
loneroc

He blew up not only the birds, but the trees, everything else living in them, and anything and everything else that happened to wander by at the wrong moment.

He also left hundreds of wounded birds, and probably other animals, scattered around his neighbors' properties.

I have certainly been frustrated by pests; but I have no trouble at all deciding where I stand on this behaviour.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly