nafex - Re: [NAFEX] You Think You Got Pest Problems?

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] You Think You Got Pest Problems?
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 05:55:05 -0400

On Aug 17, 2007, at 3:13 PM, Thomas Olenio wrote:

Hi,

Here is a fellow with real pest problems.  Claims they cost him $300,000 last year in lost crops.

Massive explosion leaves thousands of birds dead
<x-tad-smaller>An orchardist who regularly mounts attacks on roosting starlings has allegedly left thousands of birds dead and dying after commissioning a bird bomb for his latest effort.</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>

<x-tad-smaller>http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4168476a7693.html#Scene</x-tad-smaller>_1

Having been frustrated by pests myself it is hard to decide where I stand on his actions.
<x-tad-bigger>
</x-tad-bigger>
He blew up not only the birds, but the trees, everything else living in them, and anything and everything else that happened to wander by at the wrong moment.

He also left hundreds of wounded birds, and probably other animals, scattered around his neighbors' properties.

I have certainly been frustrated by pests; but I have no trouble at all deciding where I stand on this behaviour.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly