nafex - Re: [NAFEX] You Think You Got Pest Problems? OFF-TOPIC

  • From: "Naomi" <dragon-star@cableone.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] You Think You Got Pest Problems? OFF-TOPIC
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 09:56:38 -0600

I do not eat pork but I have prepared home raised open air pasture pork from
friends and (I assume) confinement commercial pork from the grocery. The
fried raised pork was darker and firmer and did not feel mushy or greasy.

I know it was slaughtered with little stress for the pig because no
transportation, alleyways etc were involved. Everything happened to it
quickly and unexpectedly.

We eat a good bit of own raised/home raised meat. Home raised with room to
walk around and develop muscle is firmer, leaner, has more flavor but less
"tang" than commercial meat.

I was once a rather fancy restaurant in Washington DC. I had the lamb
chops. On the first bite I knew that I had cleaner flavored meat in my own
freezer. I had bought a couple of lambs from a local farmer who raised on
grass with a little grain finishing.
Naomi