nafex - [NAFEX] Fruit color & birds

  • From: Del Stubbs <northernlights2n@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fruit color & birds
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 05:42:06 -0700 (PDT)

We are at last getting a few plums (curculios got most despite our attempts
at using
Surround)
The large red Pembinas have really attracted bird pecks - including equally
the ones I
covered with the little nylon 'footies'.
South Dakota plums are a small sweet flesh / sweet skin yellow gold color,
the tree is
right next to the Pembina and not a single bird peck even without footies.
We have Evans cherries in the same vicinity - bright red - and very little
bird pecking
on them, go figure. I did slide an entire nylon stocking over a branch when I
saw a robin
carry away an entire cherry, its beak hilariously ajar - the stocking stopped
all pecking
/taking, so we got to taste Evans fully ripe and sweet.
Compass cherry plum is more like a cherry in size, dark purple and no
depredation.
Manchurian Cherry bush goes from bright red to very dark when ripe,
absolutely loaded. I
saw few pecks, but presume it was chipmunks that stripped nearly the entire
bush the
night before I was to pick. Wonderful rich cherry jam from what I did get.
Del

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com zone 3a N. MN

Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all
the tools to get online.