nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple dropping

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple dropping
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 07:38:44 -0500

Jerry,

It is my understanding that Harrelson is a winter hardy variety that comes out of University of Minnesota and has a tendency to drop early when grown in warmer climate zones.  there are a number of things that can cause early drop such as pest damage, disease heavy wind or excessive heat.  We have had a few varieties such as Jonafree and Liberty that have begun dropping due to the excessive heat we have had and the varieties are prone to heavier drop that other varieties.  So you may not be doing anything wrong at all.   Hope this helps!