nafex - Re: [NAFEX] cost of groceries

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] cost of groceries
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 16:13:13 -0700 (PDT)

The impact of gardening on a budget will entirely depend on what kind
of things you buy, even more than where you are - if you eat a lot of
meat and ketchup is the main vegetable, then that big garden's impact
isn't going to matter much... same with processed food.

And scale - if you only eat a few peaches a year, a peach tree that
produces bushels of fruit isn't financially sensible... but if you
have a big peach loving family, you couldn't afford to buy what you
can produce. I'd never be willing to buy the 100s of pounds of
tomatoes we grow, even if I was willing to buy those nasty things at
the store.

We have an large garden, and make an effort to eat what we have
growing rather than what we might prefer to eat but we don't have.
No reason to go to the grower's market... which for some reason they
hold on a tuesday when everyone's working. But our grocery bills are
quite cheap... or would be except for coffee, beer and chocolate...

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
http://travel.yahoo.com/