nafex - Re: [NAFEX] price of food

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] price of food
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 09:23:21 -0500

Michael asked, "Why is fruit hard to grow in Tennessee?"

Four answers to that: the climate, the bugs, the humidity, and the soil. Does that leave anything in the favor of fruit growing? Well, most years we get rain and we always get heat units. The trouble is that our heat units are not very well organized. We get too many in the winter and spring, fooling most fruit trees into blooming, and then whammo, we suddenly get a chunk of cold air from the North Pole via Alberta and Minnesota, and that's it for the year. Donna