nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Jostaberries

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Jostaberries
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 17:39:39 -0700 (PDT)

I really like them - they are much larger than regular blackcurrants,
and not as strongly flavored (I don't recall what the crandall taste
like, mine are losing against the grass, but it might have been
similar) - the jostas when fully ripe taste great fresh. The seed to
fruit ratio is much better than say cherry currant. The josta is
doing much better here than any of the straight gooseberries; I
suspect they take a higher soil pH, or it's possible they are more
tolerant of soil water extremes or of heavy clay.

> > For those who haven't experienced this fruit, it is tart but
> > delicious, there are no major pests or diseases, and they grow in
> my
> > unamended clay soil like champs.
> about them. Many sources said they were mediocre in taste ("small,
> thick-skinned, pulpy"), while others said they were good-tasting
> fresh.
> One site said, "They are the size of a small gooseberry and lacking
> in flavor, suitable only for experimentation. Buffalo currant

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall

Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel
and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7