nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Jostaberries

  • From: Lee Reich <garden@leereich.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Jostaberries
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 10:22:10 -0400

Jostaberry is a generic name for any black currant x gooseberry hybrid. The best known of these were bred in the 1950's in Germany, and actually had worcestorberry in their "blood" also. Some of the jostaberries on the market bear well, while others bear very little. They tend to grow very vigorously.

If anyone is interested in more about this berry, I devote a whole chapter to them in my book Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden, which is available, among other places, from the NAFEX library.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
The Pruning Book
Weedless Gardening