nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Jostaberries

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Jostaberries
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 18:45:37 -0500

For those who haven't experienced this fruit, it is tart but delicious, there are no major pests or diseases, and they grow in my unamended clay soil like champs.

This is interesting, Michele. Where are you growing these?

I looked into Jostaberries when I was looking for fruiting bushes to plant, before I joined this list. But I found considerable disagreement about them. Many sources said they were mediocre in taste ("small, thick-skinned, pulpy"), while others said they were good-tasting fresh. One site said, "They are the size of a small gooseberry and lacking in flavor, suitable only for experimentation. Buffalo currant produces comparable fruit more abundantly in less space and is recommended instead."

Of course, I'm sure you'll find disagreement about all fruit. But on the Internet, nurseries seem to praise anything they sell, so I've tended to believe the naysayers. At any rate, I ended up planting clove or buffalo currants (Ribes odoratum) instead. They seem to be doing fine, but our late freeze killed the flowers, so I'll have to wait until next year to see how they produce and how they taste.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Ask your child what he wants for dinner only if he's buying. - Fran Lebowitz