nafex - [NAFEX] membership

  • From: martha_davis@highstream.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] membership
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 17:20:12 -0400

I found out about both NAFEX and MidFEx (the local fruit group in the Chicago
area)through newspaper articles about 5 year later than would have been ideal.
I talked up NAFEX in my permaculture group and the permaculture class I took.
The class was young and interested in info, but not in joining, but the local
group is old and small in New Mexico again interested in info but not
joining.
The Chicago area group picked up new members through grafting workshops,
fruits
shows, and scionwood exchanges. Some of that also produced NAFEX membership ,
but at least some of the local people felt that they were in competition with
NAFEX rather than complementary to NAFEX. In retrospect I think people with
interests in fruit should be encouraged to join and learn even if they have no
land at all. If you learn before hand, Your choice of land and choice of
fruits is likely to be better. Who among us can resist starting to plant
immediately? Working with older people who may be having difficulty with
maintenance is often a good match especially for people with no land or who
move a lot. Sharing knowledge, mantenance and fruit is a win-win situation
that would probably work for younger people. I didn't have land untill my mid
30ies but would have been happy to work some with other people perhaps 10
years
earlier. It's the flavors that draw me in and planting when the rest of my
life
allowed. Another contact group might be master gardeners either the classes or
their conferences. No everyone goes on to stay with master gardeners after
the
class so both would be ideal. That seems to be a younger group often people
who
have bought their first house.

Martha

  • [NAFEX] membership, martha_davis, 07/05/2007