nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian pears

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian pears
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 13:03:10 -0500

On a separate topic, I have found exactly one Asian pear. All the other
flowers and young fruit got zapped by the freeze. On a more positive note,
all the plants seem to be in good shape.

My two Asian pears were only planted last year, so of course they aren't yet producing fruit. But after the freeze, they looked about the worst of anything. Neither was too big - the New Century or Shinseiki especially, since it really struggled in our heat last summer - and I honestly wondered if they'd survive the freeze at all. But they're looking surprisingly good.

The Starking Hardy Giant (or Olympic or Korean Giant - every nursery seems to call the same Asian pear cultivars something different) started leafing out again, um... fairly quickly, and seems to be really taking off this year. It just seems to be much more vigorous in every way than the other. As I say, the New Century (or Shinseiki) really struggled last year, so it was pretty small and scrawny even before the freeze, though it had been sprouting out very strongly in March. Afterwards, it took a long time to green up again, but it seems to be doing fine now. It's not growing anywhere near as strongly as its neighbor, and it remains quite small, but it seems healthy enough. I'm just amazed at what these things can take from Mother Nature and still recover.

PS. I also planted a Hosui Asian pear this year. That's probably more than enough, if they all make it. (Note that these are all on dwarf rootstocks.)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale. - Marie Curie