nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian pears

  • From: "ROBERT W JUDY A HARTMAN" <hartmansfruit@msn.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian pears
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:29:59 -0700

Hi Bill,

I am curious as to what rootstock your Asian pears are grafted on to to make them dwarf.  A number of years ago I had grafted some Asian pears onto quince with an Old Home interstem.  They tended to stunt out at a young age.  The last few years I have put the Asian pears onto Pyrodwarf and they seem to do fine although Pyrodwarf is a relative new rootstock.

I have Korean Giant and Olympic.  The pears from the two varieties visually look the same but when I cut them open and taste them the Korean Giant was sweeter, at least at my location and the environment was the same for both.  I've heard that they are different strains of the same variety.  I just know that there is a difference in taste.

Bob
Western Washington