nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Antitranspirants

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Antitranspirants
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 07:22:47 -0400

On Jun 16, 2007, at 3:05 AM, Stephen Sadler wrote:

No Wilt contains two "natural polymers". . . .
I'm not super convinced that it does any good. It tries to stop plants from
exhaling, and losing water. If you stopped a person from exhaling in order
to slow or prevent dehydration, it would have that effect, but would also
have other undesirable effects. If it worked well enough to really stop
moisture loss, it would interfere with the plant's natural processes and it
would die. The reason it doesn't kill plants would be that it doesn't work
all that well.
. . .

Judging from your analogy, it seems to me it might work, even in a drought. I often wear a surgical mask when I'm on a long airplane flight. I don't do it for the germs, I do it because the mask is an excellent "antitranspirant". As I exhale, a lot of moisture I breathe out is trapped in the mask, and when I breathe in, the fresh air picks up that moisture. Since I started wearing a mask I stopped having to drink lots of water on airplanes, I stopped getting sore throats, and I get much less "jet lag". It turns out that the symptoms I thought were jet lag were largely dehydration.

If a face mask can trap water without interfering with breathing (at least, not enough to matter) it seems plausible that a waxy leaf coating could do so, too.

Ginda