nafex - [NAFEX] pumping water

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pumping water
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:09:09 -0500

One more thought. The type of irrigation will also determine the filter you
use. With drip irrigation, you will need a significant filter, otherwise
the drippers will plug. If your just planning to use a hose to water,
you'll only need to filter it if you use a closed impeller pump. A 5 gallon
bucket filled with big gravel would protect the impeller. Drill some small
holes in the bucket, cut a large hole in the bottom of the bucket to put the
intake in, then put the gravel on top. Just make sure the gravel is big
enough so it won't go in the intake. Or as Helene says, a big metal
container with small holes would probably do it.

Again, if you can get electricity down close to the creek, I would recommend
a small well pump. I'm familiar with fully submersible pumps, and above
ground jet pumps. Either one would work, but a jet pump would be a little
harder to set up. Small well pumps won't pump high volumes of water but
they will deliver good pressure (in one step) with little horsepower. For a
1/2 horsepower submersible for a temporary electrical hookup, you could use
12/2 w/ground romex. This would be large enough to prevent any significant
voltage drop and it would certainly handle the amperage. For something more
permanent you could bury 12/2 w/ground UF. If you use a 1/3 horsepower
pump, you could go with 14 gauge wire.

Mark