nafex - [NAFEX] Unknown Beetles

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Unknown Beetles
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 07:10:36 -0500

I've got nocturnal critters skeletonizing raspberry leaves and I haven't seen a possible culprit until yesterday. Some time ago I asked the Extension service and was told that it 'sounded' like Japanese Beetle damage. I doubted that because the critter is nocturnal.
Recently, I parked the wheelbarrow in the berry patch and was surprised by the bugs in it the following morning. There were two kinds: one was the common Junebug and the other was about the size of the Junebug and of a light brown color. I wondered if this second beetle was the skeletonizer.
Does anyone know what skeletonizes their raspberry leaves?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: