nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Curcullio ? and tree damage

  • From: "Dianne Stephany" <iluvdanc@rochester.rr.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Curcullio ? and tree damage
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 11:45:26 -0400

HI
Last year we found plum curcullio larvae in our sweet white cherries, Van and Ranier. The adults were also on my choke cherry bush, but I don't know if they actually infested them. I painted the trunks of our trees with white latex/water and hope to reduce the damage to this years crop of plums and cherries.

Fortunately our trees are still in dormant mode and I think they were spared the kill experienced from previous cold snap. There is snow falling right now as well, but it is only predicted to get down to the low 30s both at night and during the day. I expect the trees to remain dormant for awhile yet.

Also thanks for the reply about neem oil. Because of its many uses in India (anti-scabbies, mouth wash, etc) I had not taken any precautions when spraying the trees with it . I will certainly in the future.

Dianne Stephany
Rochester NY zone 5