nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Curcullio question

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Curcullio question
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:11:45 -0500

Jim,

Due to the adverse weather conditions and loss of fruit in many areas, there will be the initial response of thinking one does not need to be too concerned about pest control. Actually, one will need to be a bit more diligent in monitoring, especially for fungal and bacterial diseases. After any kind of weather related injury, fungicides still need to be considered. Damage breeds disease. In fact, a good copper spray just prior to a light frost will add protection against that frost.

In the case of plum curculio, there is a great deal of information available at http://web1.msue.msu.edu/vanburen/plumcurc.htm. I am also in the process of developing an early detection trap that will capture adults as they are flying into the orchard, rather than the previous trunk or triangle traps that generally do not work. I will be starting my trials this spring with the use of a plum curculio lure and plum essence combination in a Trece Delta Pherocon VI trap. I will continue to post results as they become available.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com