nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bee shortage hypothesis

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bee shortage hypothesis
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 12:17:56 -0400

Hello,

I just watched a television show on honey bees. Bees navigate based on
visual clues. They were able to confuse bees with confusing, repeating
geometric designs in their flight path.

Possibly if a bee were to buy a cellular phone, carrying it home would be a
problem. Ha, ha, ha. I won't even get into their text messaging issues.

I am not going to rush to judgment, and will wait for verified, accredited,
accepted, scientific findings.

Just out of curiosity... How many hybrids, mono cultures of commercial
honey bees are out there? Could we just have a hybrid bee population that
has a weakness to some new bee disease?

For example... Think of all the health problems that have been inbred into
pedigree dogs by humans. Would man do that to commercial honey bees too...?
Sure we would, if there was a dollar in it.

Go for the simplest answer first. A) new disease, B) Inbred
imperfections/weakness.

Later,
Tom