nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Curcullio question

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Curcullio question
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 09:06:18 -0500

Before the big freeze I had spread sheets under my big plum tree and also went around moving a couple of sheets under smaller peach trees. Tapping got me a total of 120 curculios. If half were females and each can destroy 300 fruits, that would mean they could have destroyed 18,000 fruits. I had decided it would be worth my while to spray the peaches with Neem and keep the sheets under the big tree and keep tapping it. By keeping one favored tree for bait, and making the peaches taste bad, I figured I could actually kill most of the curculios and eventually reach a point in the year where I could stop spraying. I am pretty good at spotting bugs, so it was an easy matter to pick up and crunch the weevils, not to mention very satisfying! I could have dumped the debris collected by tapping into a bucket of soapy water, but then I wouldn't have had any idea how many curculio the were or whether the numbers were dropping. For those of you who still have the chance of getting crops, you might want to try this and report in. For others like Dennis, do you think this is a reasonably good approach? I don't dare use chemicals. Donna