nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Curcullio question

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Curcullio question
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:02:24 -0500

Jim,

Odds are that their egg laying will be greatly reduced due to no blooms or fruit, but there will still possibly be PC in the orchard from overwintering. They can overwinter about 1" underground, especially if you use mulch in tree rows, until spring and then emerge. I wish it was as easy as finding host plants and zapping them there. The hosts other than apple are nectarine, plum, cherry, peach, apricot, pear and quince. They also can survive on wild plum, hawthorn and native crabapple. With no fruit or blossoms availabe, my guess would be hawthorne. If you have any hawthorne trees nearby, I'd concentrate my efforts there.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com