nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Freeze Damage

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Freeze Damage
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:05:11 -0500

Yes, you should remove all of the damaged fruit and leaves if they do not fall off on their own. They will harbor disease and insects in the same way the mummies do for overwintering pests and disease. Some of the most fundamental cultural practices can alleviate many potential problems, but especially bacterial diseases. If you have row trees, cultivating the rows will remove any overwintering pests that hide under leaves or mulch (I'm not a big fan of mulch under or around trees for this reason) or any that burrow underground. Most pests that burrow into the ground only burrow an inch or two so the cultivating buries them deeper and they die. These kinds of practices help alleviate the pressure form these types of pests.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com