nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Freeze Damage

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Freeze Damage
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 12:18:05 -0500

Title: Message
Good comments, Richard.   I grew up in a part of Kansas where late spring frosts are the rule rather than the exception. When they hit, we or the wildlife simply did not have fruit that year, either cultivated or wild, except for species that bloomed very late or trees that were in microclimates that either protected them or retarded their growth and bloom.  We didn't like it, but what else could be done.  Due to the recent cold weather, my mom's apricots, peaches, pears and sour cherries in Hays, Kan. (about midway between Kansas City and Denver) will not have any fruit.

Undoubtedly, wildlife does suffer when fruiting plants do not produce a crop, but most animals do not rely on a single food source.

This weekend, we drove from St. Paul, Minn., where most things had not yet leafed out or started blooming, to Lawrence, Kan., via Omaha and returned via Kansas City and Des Moines.  Everywhere we passed through had experienced temps in the teens after weeks of abnormally warm temps.  In Lawrence, the early tulips looked very limp, bowed over onto the ground.  The blossoms on my friend's dogwoods in Kansas City were frozen on the tree.

But almost all things will either regrow from buds that remained dormant while their neighbors began growth or if the top was killed, will resprout from the roots.  It's not nice for fruit growers like us, but it's not the end of the world.

--  Sam Brungardt in St. Paul, Minn., where the snowdrops had finished blooming and the flowers of the species crocus and scilla are being held tightly shut and to the ground.