nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tennessee damage

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tennessee damage
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:00:34 -0600

The damage is looking far worse now for my kiwi vines. I have a number of large, mature A. chinensis vines. I knew the green growth and flower buds would be toast, but now it appears that the trunks may all be killed to the ground as well. Some of these have woody trunks 2.5 inches in diameter, and have never suffered the slightest winter injury before. Many are now soft and mushy. Even the hardy kiwi are bleeding brown sap and may also have severe trunk damage. They should all resprout from the roots and the few that were grafted can be re-grafted, as I collected dormant wood in February as insurance, but no fruit this year. My trellises did need re-wiring, so I guess this gives me an opportunity to do the needed maintenance.

I'm still pretty bummed, but I really feel bad for friends who rely on fruit crops for their livelihood. This is by far the worst spring freeze damage I've ever seen.

Hal
just nw of Nashville