nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Freeze Damage

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Freeze Damage
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 17:23:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Monday I drove from Winston-Salem to Knoxville via I-40 and late Tuesday I
returned to W-S via I-81/I-77.
Along I-40 there are whole forests that had turned black after being bright
green the previous week. Low areas seemed to be hit worse that higher ones.
On the return, the damage from the highway appeared to be much less along the
higher altitude I-81.
Here outside Winston-Salem the freeze wiped out the plums, peaches,
blueberries, and probably most apples and pears.
One strange phenomenon was that kohlrabi, radish and lettuce were not
affected by the freeze, while peas and cabbage were melted to the ground.
I guess I will find out what store-bought fruit tastes like this year.

Jim Nottke