nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tennessee damage

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tennessee damage
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 12:02:36 -0500

 Richard:

"BTW, most of our fruit is on a southern slope at 1800'."

How low is the valley below?  Is this the sort of "Banana belt" as they call it in Oregon where you are up on a hillside and the warm air rises to cover you while the cold stuff rolls down to the valley below?  I thought that our slope and stream leading to a large lake would help protect us, but it seems that we are on the east side of the lake so the cold stuff settles down and then creeps up our streambed.  That's what I suspect anyway, but it does sound like something protects your spot.

Our gooseberries and currants look fine, as do the blackberries, raspberries, figs, mulberries, juneberries (Amelanchier) in full bloom"

We have one gooseberry that I've never done much for, maybe I should.  I have heard that currants don't like heat and are prone to disease here.  If you say otherwise, I might want to invest in some.  Blackberries and elderberries look fine here too.  Mulberries wiped out in full bloom.  Juneberries tend to produce crops of bright orange rust here.  Figs, they insist on freezing to the ground and then never crop on new wood for us.  I'm on my second one.  Even the figs we took to town, the one in a basement looks dead and the little one covered with leaves between houses with trees overhead, it looks battered.  The secretary at work kept bringing in figs all through late summer last year, I may have to go look at her yard and find where she fits in a topo map.  I don't know what the deal is on figs, they don't work for me.
    I think that Lucky, a bit further west and north, and Hector, 30 miles north, are reporting lower temps than we had.  Maybe you had slightly higher temps over there to the east so far.  Donna