nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rose hips

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rose hips
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:47:37 -0500

George,
Rugosa likes sandy soils, will grow only too well in them though they languish in our clay.
Beware of cultivars that are noted for continuous blooming, usually because they are sterile. You want something that blooms, sets a crop of hips and ripens it. There was an article in POMONA some years back by someone who found that their first 'Hansa' cultivar bloomed well but didn't set many hips. He got a different 'Hansa' that bloomed less, but set lots of hips.
Keep in mind too that all rose hips are not created equal. I have 'Carefree Beauty', a very successful rose that makes a lot of hips if you let it, but I don't think they'd be very useful as food. They seem to stay hard and dull orange and then dry up. The R. canina that I picked for rose hip syrup in England were brightly colored and succulent. None are any good for eating because of the fuzzy seeds, but boiled and strained, they are both nutritious and very nice. Donna