nafex - Re: [NAFEX] mulberries

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] mulberries
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:52:30 -0500

Yasi, I have dried Illinois Everbearing and also some M. albas. I was inspired by Smith's TREE CROPS book in which he talks about how mulberries were traditionally dried in Afghanistan. (They sweep the ground clean, let the berries fall and dry, then winnow them to get out the bugs, dirt and stems. I understand that California raisins are or were done the same way except that brown paper was laid down first.) The dried mulberries were a bit bland, but not bad. They certainly weren't much work to do. Donna