nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rose hips

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rose hips
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:16:39 -0500

Rosa rugosas are generally hardy to zone 4. They are grown for flowers (some
are very fragrant) and the fruits, rosehips, which contains a high count of
vitamine C.

They usually spread through runners (and seeds of course which have to be
stratified) and can become invasive, whether you find this a plus or a
minus. ( I have a patch of a deep fushia coloured beautiful fragrant rosa
rugosa, which started as a simple shoot. BUT, for the last 3 years, I am
continually removing shoots from a patway by transplanting them to other
locations. )
There are a lot of specific varieties, and multiple choices of colour, size,
fragrance and time of flowering.

For Canada, Otto Richter has an impressive choice in their catalogue this
year.

Hélène, zone 4