nafex - [NAFEX] Setting the Record Straight

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Setting the Record Straight
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:17:17 -0500

First, thank you for the compliments about an article I wrote in 2002 for Mother Earth News.

I write for a living. Before I began writing about horticulture, I wrote about criminals and politicians (some say that's redundant) for the Houston Chronicle, Dallas Times-Herald and the San Antonio Express-News. I didn't know much about raising fruit, but I wanted to learn. So at the urging of Sam Powers, John Panzerella and Ray Smith, I joined NAFEX. You all have taught me so much, and the article I wrote in 2002 was my way of paying everyone back.

Since the article ran four years ago, the magazine broke up my 3,500-word article into five or six short pieces for the Internet. What Sam B. posted was only a small section. Mother Earth has taken down the original article, but you can find pieces of it at their site by searching for fruit topics. A number of NAFEX giants such as Ed Fackler, Tom & Jill Vorbeck and Lon Rombough are featured.

If anyone wants to read the entire article as it was written, I can email you the text--no photos, of course. Keep in mind that this info is more than four years old.
Doreen Howard