nafex - Re: [NAFEX] mulberries

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] mulberries
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:27:15 -0500

At 12:20 PM 3/21/2007, you wrote:
I'm surprised Raintree nursery promotes it the way they do.

It's not bad - other than the fact that it's an M.alba, which is on many folks' 'unwanted, invasive alien' list. But, there are other cultivars that far surpass it in productivity and fruit quality.
If you've got little kids, they make really neat 'playhouses'.

Gordon Nofs once told me about budding several pieces of weeping mulberry about 4-5 ft up a vigorous seedling stem, with a piece of Illinois Everbearing grafted on top to produce a good fruiting mulberry with a 'hula skirt'. I keep meaning to 'build' one of my own, but haven't yet gotten around to doing it.

LLP