nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Delaying blooming/breaking dormancy

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Delaying blooming/breaking dormancy
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:04:50 -0500

Putting down a thick mulch covering the area of the roots (out to the ends of the limbs) will help delay bloom somewhat as it keeps the ground cooler. Just do not put the mulch right against the trunk of the tree as that could invite rabbit or mouse damage to the bark.

Dormancy is broken when the Air AND the Soil temperature meet the tree's requirements (it varies with different fruit).As an example we usually have a warm spell in January (70+degrees) that lasts about a week but not long enough to warm the soil so the trees do not break dormancy.

Planting trees on a slope will also reduce the chance of late frost damage.

And of course there is the basic method - plant varieties that have a late bloom.

Regards,
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard
www.oakcreekorchard.com