nafex - Re: [NAFEX] zone 5 mulberries

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] zone 5 mulberries
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:29:03 -0500

At 10:02 AM 3/21/2007, you wrote:

Has anyone ever tried to dry mulberries? Or make fruit leather with it?

It's been done. I've not tried it, though I have on occasion, had a few berries that lasted more than the day or two usually required for my family to eat a full gallon shaken out of the tree, and as they dried, they seemed (at least to me) to lose a lot of their flavor.

I made a few quarts of mulberry jam last year - tasty, but not quite as good, to me, as blackberry.
But, eaten right off the tree or cane, I'll take mulberries over blackberries.

Lucky