nafex - [NAFEX] Plum Curculio and Tree Painting

  • From: "Scott Williamson" <ScottW@acespower.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Plum Curculio and Tree Painting
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:08:55 -0400

There was a discussion a while back about painting the trunk of a tree to discourage or confuse Plum Curculio.  I thought I would experiment this year and try painting some of my trees and see how the painted vs. non-painted are affected but had a few questions.

Most importantly I've never painted any of my tree trunks before and don't want to kill the trees so do I need to use a special kind of paint or will any exterior paint work?  How thick should I put it on?  Any other general tree painting tips?

Also how high up the trunk should the paint be to discourage the Plum Curculio?  2-3 feet?