nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Are interstocks on pecans common?

  • From: Hans Brinkmann <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are interstocks on pecans common?
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 22:32:36 +0100

Hallo Alan,
I was told, Carya cordiformis (bitternut) is a nice rootstock for cold conditions,
if e.g. "Dog House" is used as an interstem for incompatible varieties.
But this is probably never sold at nurseries. (?)

ciao
Hans

athagan@atlantic.net schrieb:
I planted three pecans today - Curtis, Elliott, and Moreland - and
noticed that all three seem to have an intermediary graft between the
rootstock and the topgraft. Is this common? What would be the
reason for doing this? It seems like it would complicate the
operation and increase the chances of failure so I presume there must
be some good reason for it.

.....Alan.

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----