nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hickory seedling care...?

  • From: BekeeprTop@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hickory seedling care...?
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 11:17:09 EST

Yes, hickories are well-known to not tolerate ordinary pot or tube culture.  You should plant your germinating hickories soon in the ground in the location where you want them to grow.  Plant them far enough apart so they will nut young [young meaning in 2022] so you can cut out the trees that have poor nuts leaving those with good nuts [assuming you're growing these shags for their nuts and not to make barbecue wood] I'd plant them 2" deep and you've got to watch for squirrels taking them even after they germinate.  I've got a hickory 25 yrs old making shags and nuts and everything and it'll probably be cut in a year as the nuts first look don't look good.   Too bad.
Charlie Paradise

Howdy All-

I've got some shagbark hickory (Carya ovata) seeds that I've been
stratifying for quite some time now (1 yr+), and they have just
started to germinate.

I was planning to seed them out into some tube-type containers to
encourage taproot development and keep an eye on them for the first
year of growth. Any tips or ideas for care? How deep should I set them
in the soil/finished compost mix?

Thanks!

Ethan

--
Ethan C. Roland
(518) 610-1375

AppleSeed Permaculture
Design - Teach - Advise
www.appleseedpermaculture.com

Northeastern Permaculture Wiki
www.northeasternpermaculture.wikispaces.com

8th International Permaculture Conference, Brazil, 2007
www.ipc8.org

" You can count the number of seeds in an apple, but you can't count
the number of apples in a seed" - proverb via Paul Krafel

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----