nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Are interstocks on pecans common?

  • From: Hans Brinkmann <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are interstocks on pecans common?
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:29:15 +0100

Hallo Lucky,

probably some Hickory varieties are like some of our German Juglans regia varieties.
We have e.g. one quite new and very resistant "Miracle of Monrepos" which is unfortunately very difficult to graft.
Sometimes even walnut nurseries do not have any success at all with the wrong Juglans regia rootstock.
We say, the more related, the better the grafting results, but this is only a rule for some difficult varieties.

I stratified already "Carlson 3" Pecan and right today I ordered additionally from the USA
the only available Pecan: "Snaps" as possible rootstocks.

Thank you very much!

ciao
Hans