nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Are interstocks on pecans common?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are interstocks on pecans common?
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 09:50:09 -0600

At 08:45 PM 3/4/2007, you wrote:
I planted three pecans today - Curtis, Elliott, and Moreland - and
noticed that all three seem to have an intermediary graft between the
rootstock and the topgraft. Is this common? What would be the
reason for doing this? It seems like it would complicate the
operation and increase the chances of failure so I presume there must
be some good reason for it.

Alan, I've never seen anyone do an interstem graft on pecans or hickories. Are you sure you're not just seeing a 'dogleg' of sorts where they might have pruned back the rootstock or cut out a failed graft, let it throw a new vigorous shoot, and then grafted onto that?

LLP