nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Are interstocks on pecans common?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are interstocks on pecans common?
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 15:39:28 -0600

At 02:20 PM 3/6/2007, Hans wrote:
And let me import more Northern Pecan seeds from USA as rootstock for
probably all different Carya.

Even at that, there are varietal differences between different 'seed-strains' of northern pecan - and Southern pecan, as well.
Here in Kentucky, seedlings of the "Major" pecan, a selection from a 400-acre native pecan forest in the Green River delta(where the "Green River" pecan also originated) are the preferred seedling rootstock for pecans and most hickories. I also like seedlings of "Peruque" for this purpose.
However, the choice of seed-strain parent for pecan/hickory growers in Kansas or Michigan might be quite different.

LLP