nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ammonium vs. Nitrate

  • From: Lee Reich <garden@leereich.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ammonium vs. Nitrate
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 08:39:13 -0500

"Ammonium" could refer to either ammonium nitrate or anhydrous ammonia. Anhydrous ammonia combines with water and other things in the soil to become ammonium ion. Ammonium is an positively charged ion that combines with negatively charged ions, such as nitrate or hydroxide ions. Anhydrous ammonia is a gas without charge.
Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
The Pruning Book
Weedless Gardening