nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ammonium vs. Nitrate

  • From: <reveland@bresnan.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ammonium vs. Nitrate
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:41:46 -0700

The article referenced said that ammonium makes tomatoes taste better than ammonium nitrate makes them taste when the choice of fertilizers is either A: Ammonium or B: Ammonium Nitrate. Now I am looking to buy some Ammonium as referenced in the article. What I want to know is where can I purchase some Ammonium (not Ammonium Nitrate). Does it come in 40 lb. bag or maybe in a 10 ounce bottle at the nearest K-Mart. In the article they talk about ammonium as if it is something that can be readily purchased. I was thinking perhaps they are using anhydrous ammonia, but anhydrous ammonia is a dangerous chemical that is not used to fertilize already growing crops in a field, but rather is applied at planting time. It could however be used in a hydroponic setup although anhydrous in pure form always presents a danger to the applicator (boiling point is -28 C. and it is highly corrosive). What form of Ammonium do you suppose they used in the article.

Rodney Eveland

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>