nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ammonium vs. Nitrate

  • From: "Greg or Marie Jordan Tree Taxi" <treetaxi@mcleodusa.net>
  • To: <reveland@bresnan.net>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ammonium vs. Nitrate
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 19:55:16 -0700

Anhydrous ammonia is a Gas, Gaseous ammonia. According to Dictionary.com (Anhydrous) means "free from water and especially water that is chemically combined in a crystalline substance <anhydrous ammonia>" When a farmer Purchases Anhydrous Ammonia it is Ammonia gas compressed to the point of liquefaction. (Like carbon dioxide CO2 in fire extinguishers is. He uses it by bubbling the Ammonia gas into irrigation water or inject it directly into the soil. Ammonia gas is very very soluble in water. When you buy Ammonia in the store it is ammonia gas dissolved in water. When ammonia dissolves in water it is so reactive it grabs a positive hydrogen ion from a water molecule, which also releases negative OH ion. This makes ammonia solution basic or alkaline.

This whole thread is really only relevant to flavor if you are talking about growing things hydroponically not soil.

The article referenced said that ammonium makes tomatoes taste better than
ammonium nitrate makes them taste when the choice of fertilizers is either
A: Ammonium or B: Ammonium Nitrate. Now I am looking to buy some Ammonium as
referenced in the article. What I want to know is where can I purchase some
Ammonium (not Ammonium Nitrate). Does it come in 40 lb. bag or maybe in a 10
ounce bottle at the nearest K-Mart. In the article they talk about ammonium
as if it is something that can be readily purchased. I was thinking perhaps
they are using anhydrous ammonia, but anhydrous ammonia is a dangerous
chemical that is not used to fertilize already growing crops in a field, but
rather is applied at planting time. It could however be used in a hydroponic
setup although anhydrous in pure form always presents a danger to the
applicator (boiling point is -28 C. and it is highly corrosive). What form
of Ammonium do you suppose they used in the article.

Rodney Eveland