nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bill's choices, Actinidia kolomicta

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bill's choices, Actinidia kolomicta
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 04:12:49 -0500 (EST)

Someone who lives in such a climate and feels interested and adventurous could try A. kolomikta trained on a north wall.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, William C. Garthright wrote:

I'm not on the great plains, but I am in the midwest in a climate that
also feels some wild fluctuations of temperature. I've had A.
kolomicta for probably 12 or more years, and while it's had lots of
flowers I've only tasted 2 fruits. I don't think it minds a sudden
drop in temperature--that is what they experience in Siberia in the
fall. The problem here is that they break dormancy very easily, start
growing and blooming early and almost always get nailed by a late frost.

That's the main reason I didn't think the hardy kiwi would do well here.
We frequently get unusually warm weather in late winter or early spring.
Last year, it was in the 80's for pretty much the entire first week of
April, then it got cold again.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (Zone 5)