nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bill's choices, Actinidia kolomicta

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bill's choices, Actinidia kolomicta
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 18:01:24 -0600

I'm not on the great plains, but I am in the midwest in a climate that also feels some wild fluctuations of temperature. I've had A. kolomicta for probably 12 or more years, and while it's had lots of flowers I've only tasted 2 fruits. I don't think it minds a sudden drop in temperature--that is what they experience in Siberia in the fall. The problem here is that they break dormancy very easily, start growing and blooming early and almost always get nailed by a late frost.

That's the main reason I didn't think the hardy kiwi would do well here. We frequently get unusually warm weather in late winter or early spring. Last year, it was in the 80's for pretty much the entire first week of April, then it got cold again.

Thanks to everyone for all the plant suggestions and comments (and recipes!). I don't want to reply to all of them, since that will clutter up the list, but I do appreciate it. And I will be replying to everyone who sent me messages off-list.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (Zone 5)

--
Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality. ... When one admits that nothing is certain one must, I think, also admit that some things are much more nearly certain than others. - Bertrand Russell